BE IT ENACTED by the National Assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as follows:
- The University Teaching Hospitals (Reconstitution of Boards, Etc) Act No 10 of 1985 (in this Act referred to as “the Principal Act”) is amended as set out in this Act.
- Section 7 of the Principal Act is amended by inserting new sub-sections 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D, in that sequence, immediately after sub-section 2 thereof:
(2A) – The Board shall specify, as part of Course content for professional qualification, a Rural Outreach Programme for the training of the medical students of the associate University targeted towards increased Patient-Doctor contact.
(2B) – The Programme referred to in sub-section 2A above shall include instituting a procedure whereby Student and Trainee Doctors shall be posted to General, Cottage and rural Hospitals and Clinics located in the communities within the State in which the Teaching Hospital is situate.
(2C) – In pursuance of 2B above, the Board shall develop a Schedule whereby Consultants of the Teaching Hospital shall make themselves available for supervision of the Student and Trainee Doctors in the Health Facilities contemplated under the subsection 2B.
(2D) – The Medical Advisory Committee provided for in sub-section (4) of Section 5 of the Principal Act shall have the responsibility for advising the Board on best practices for the implementation of 2A, 2B,and 2C above.
- Insert a new Paragraph (e) under Sub-section 8 thus:
(e) It shall be misconduct for any Student of the Hospital to fail, neglect or refuse to abide by the Programme developed by the Board in pursuance of Section 2 above.
- Section 16, sub-section (1) of the Principal Act is amended by inserting immediately after the word ‘guidelines’ in line 4 thereof the following words:
“including the Rural Outreach Programme contemplated in Section 7 of this Act.”
- This Act may be cited as the University Teaching Hospitals (Reconstitution of Boards, Etc.) (Amendment) Act.
This bill seeks to amend the University Teaching Hospitals (Reconstitution of Boards, Etc.) Act,
Cap U15, Laws of the Federation, 2010 to provide for a Rural Outreach
Content in the training of medical students, and for other matters related thereto